Autism Society of Wisconsin

Autism Across the Lifespan

Planning for Adult Life

The Department of Public Instruction has produced a helpful guide called Opening Doors - A Guide to Adult Services that provides helpful information on vocational services, postsecondary education, Family Care/IRIS, applying for Social Security, housing, Guardianship and more.

Visit the Wisconsin Transition Improvement website for detailed information on transition services for students with disabilities ages 14-21 years.

Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs)

The first place to go to get accurate, unbiased information on all aspects of life related to aging or living with a disability. ADRCs are friendly, welcoming places where anyone -- individuals, concerned families or friends, or professionals working with issues related to aging or disabilities -- can go for information specifically tailored to their situation. The ADRC provides information on a broad range of programs and services, helps people understand the various long term care options available to them, helps people apply for programs and benefits, and serves as the access point for publicly-funded long term care. These services can be provided at the ADRC, via telephone, or through a home visit, whichever is more convenient to the individual seeking help. Click here to locate an ADRC in your area .

DVR - Division of Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation helps individuals with a disability to obtain, maintain, and improve their employment opportunities. The state office that provides this help is called the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR). The state DVR office can be reached by calling 800-442-3477 or TTY 888-877-5939. For more information on DVR, visit their website. There are many local offices in Wisconsin. A vocational counselor works in each office. This counselor will help you decide if DVR can help you.

You can also use the services of the Client Assistance Program (CAP). CAP isn't a part of DVR, but can help explain DVR policies and procedures and your rights and responsibilities. CAP can also help people who have questions about rehabilitation services or have problems with the DVR service they receive. CAP can explain how the appeal process works and help you write your letter to request a hearing.

Client Assistance Program (CAP) - 2811 Agriculture Drive P.O. Box 8911 Madison, WI 53708-8911. Phone 1-800-362-1290 TTY/voice.

Wisconsin Independent Living Centers

An independent living center (ILC) is a consumer-directed, non-profit organization that provides an array of services, including: peer support, information and referral, independent living skills training, advocacy, community education, personal care and service coordination. Independent living centers also provide information and access to assistive technology as part of the WisTech Program. Visit

Housing Assistance Programs

There are housing services available for persons with disabilities. Visit