Change for Autism is a campaign through the Autism Society of Wisconsin designed to encourage stakeholders to create meaningful change for people with autism in our schools and communities. Whether you’re part of a group, business, school and/or a passionate individual hoping to ignite change, there is a place for you within the Change for Autism campaign!
With 1 in 59 children identified with autism, it’s critical that our communities understand autism in order to provide meaningful support for individuals with autism and their families.
A National Organization on Disability survey reported that individuals with disabilities feel more isolated and participated in fewer community activities than those without disabilities. Similarly, a lack of community understanding and inclusion was revealed as the 3rd biggest challenge experienced by those affected by autism that participated in a recent Autism Society of Wisconsin (ASW) survey. Many individuals with autism and their caregivers reported feeling misunderstood and not feeling included or welcome at school or community activities.
Together, we can create change for individuals and families affected by autism by increasing community understanding and support!
Ways to get involved:
Schools can join our Change for Autism coin drive and campaign by following the steps below:
- Check if you are in one of the 53 counties in our service area! You may see if you are within our service area by clicking here.
- Use the online form below to sign up with the Autism Society of Wisconsin to let us know you plan to participate. We will send a fundraising and awareness building toolkit including resources, posters and fact sheets.
- Choose a time frame to collect spare change in support of the Autism Society of Wisconsin. You can collect change all month or for a week or two.
- Using the tools provided, make a plan to build awareness and spread the word! Keep us updated with stories and photos so we can highlight your school/business on our website and newsletter.
Contact the Autism Society of Wisconsin to learn about how you can create sensory friendly environments or make your business more welcoming to individuals and families affected by autism.
Businesses can also consider joining the Autism Society of Wisconsin this April by collecting spare change or hosting a jean day to raise money to support our programs and services. The Change for Autism Coin Drive takes place during the month of April. Sign up is below.
Share your experiences to raise awareness and support others:
- What do you wish others knew about autism? Share your thoughts in our survey to be included in our social media awareness campaign.
- Make a donation to the Autism Society of Wisconsin to support our ongoing programs and services.